Your practitioner may prescribe you a dermatological preparation that will need to be compounded.
Compounding offers a solution for many people with skin problems. Your practitioner may decide that you require a skin treatment:
- that is currently unavailable through retail pharmacies (this may be due to a supplier issue or a medication that is not yet available in Australia that has been deemed safe and effective elsewhere)
- without preservatives or certain excipients (inactive ingredients) – this may be due to an allergy or intolerance
- in a different base (for example an lubricating ointment rather than an alcoholic gel)
- With a different dose that is commercially available – for example if you experienced side effects with the normal dose or you required a higher dose to achieve the desired clinical effect.
- That has multiple active ingredients – this will save you having to use several different products and will improve compliance.
We are also able to offer tailored anti-aging/cosmeceutical preparations, compounded here at our laboratory, customised to your skin type. Many of these are available over the counter, without a prescription. We have access to high-quality raw ingredients and use the latest in pharmaceutical compounding technology. Please discuss with one of our compounding pharmacists for more information.